Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to Search for Books
Union catalog of the holdings of thousands of libraries worldwide. Citations for books, journals, manuscripts, maps, music scores, sound recordings, films, computer files, newspapers, slides, videotapes, etc., in a variety of languages. WorldCat does not include individual articles, stories in journals, magazines, newspapers, or book chapters.
Searching for Library Sources
Combined Author/Title option
- quickest way to find an item if you know the author and title
- use the Author or Title options only if you know the exact forms
- yields only items catalogued under prescribed subject headings (i.e., Library of Congress headings; see list of possible subject headings below). If you are not familiar with these, use:
Keyword Option (words from the title)
- usually yields more hits as it searches author, subject headings, titles and series
Subject Keyword is also useful.
Examples of subject headings:
For books about authors, literature, or history:
- Faulkner, William
- American literature -- Southern States -- History and criticism
- Faulkner, Wiliam, 1897-1962
Examples of keyword searches:
- For works by William Faulkner, do an Author search on "William Faulkner"
- For works about William Faulkner, do a Boolean search using "William Faulkner" and one of the following: criticism, biography, bibliography, autobiography
Useful Call Numbers
- Call numbers: William Faulkner has a single number: PS3511. For biography and criticism of Wiliam Faulkner, Library of Congress adds a second line A86 (PS3511.A86).